I've had running on my mind lately. I mean, more than usual. I'm at the high end of marathon training, and on the verge of a taper. But not before mixing in a little race this weekend. I'm super excited to Rock the Parkway on Saturday... and hoping and praying for a new PR, despite the hills.
With this in mind, I thought I'd share with you a list of the 10 Commandments for Runners. I've seen this floating around and it always makes me smile. We runners can be so serious sometimes. News Flash; sometimes I break the rules. Shhh... don't tell.
TEN COMMANDMENTS FOR THE RUNNER
1. Thou shall not compare thyself to other runners. A mile is a mile.
Psssshhhh... I wouldn't be the runner I am today if it weren't for comparing myself to other runners. I'm perfectly happy with myself and my times, until I see someone better. Competition suits me.
2. Thou shall never say, "I am not a runner." If you run, you are a runner.
I totes follow this one. I identify myself as a lot of things; teacher, bad driver, crazy dog lady, runner. Running is part of who I am!
3. Thou shall not skimp on sleep.
I think I get plenty of sleep, but I'd still love more. Ideally I'd like a nap every day. That isn't happening.
4. Remember the "rest day" and keep it holy.
Sometimes I accidentally take too many rest days. Oops.
5. Honor thy muscles and thy "aches and pains" and do not push through an injury. Runners are not invincible.
Lucky for me I haven't had to deal with this in awhile. I do a lot to prevent injuries. So far so good.
6. Thou shall not forget to hydrate.
Duh. I drink a lot. And I'm not just talking about wine.
7. Thou shall not commit the sin of wearing cotton; especially on race day.
Oh no. I only wear cotton for comfort, not for running. I do remember my early days of running. I had a lot of chafing because I had no idea what to wear.
8. Thou shall not ignore thy shoes. Get properly fitted and check for wear often.
I so follow this one! I get new shoes at least twice a year. And now that Garry Gribbles is giving me a 20% discount for being a track coach (score!) that may have to move up to 3 times a year!
9. Thou shall not get stuck in a rut, but will vary thy running by switching up elevation, distance, and pace.
Meh. I follow my plan and just run where ever the spirit moves me to. And sometimes I get lost.
10. Thou shall not covet thy neighbor's medals.
Huh? Why would I want someone else's medals? Maybe I'm off my rocker on this one, but I'd like to get rid of my own medals. What on Earth am I supposed to do with those things? Maybe I'll start wearing them instead of a scarf or necklace. I'm such a trend setter.
2 comments:
You know I love this! What race do you having come up???!! So excited for you!
So excited for Sat.!!!
Post a Comment