Happy Monday ya'll! I have an amazing taco-filling recipe for you today, as well as lots of tales of kitchen fails. Cooking (especially vegan cooking) is a learning process... one that I'm obviously still going through.
Last week Jana and DeAnna came over for dinner and I was excited to use one of my vegan cookbooks to put together a fun meal. I chose a Mexican theme because for some reason I think Mexican food always sounds delicious when it's this hot. Maybe I just think margaritas sound delicious when it's this hot.
All of my dinner recipes came from Veganomicon, which I could just sit and read for hours. This is actually the first time I've prepared anything though. For the taco filling, I prepared their recipe for Black Beans in Chipotle Adobo Sauce. It was a very easy recipe... if you actually followed the recipe.
I skimmed through and only after I'd added an entire chopped onion to my saucepan with all of my black beans and water did I read the line that said "Remove the onion before serving." What??? How am I supposed to remove an entire chopped onion from a pan of beans???
Oh. I wasn't supposed to chop the onion. My bad.
So I ended up rushing to Hen House for more black beans and another onion. One which I would not chop. The thing is... Hen House has the dumbest set up in the entire world of grocery stores. I hate going there because it doesn't make sense!!! I searched all over that GD store and finally found the black beans... and they weren't even the kind I like. I do not like you Hen House.
Anyways... despite the set back, I was able to serve up some tasty black bean tacos with a side of Mexican Millet. Fun fact: millet is a grain that is often used for bird seed. But people like it too.
| Black Bean Tacos & Meximillet. |
| Ole! |
| That's a vegan with a happy plate. |
| How do you say "nom nom nom" in Spanish? |
The book is a liar.
| Vegan |
| Vegan Pie Essentials. |
You have to go to an Asian market to purchase it. Let's all take a minute to visualize how much fun Drew had when I dragged him into the Asian market.
| Gel-icious. |
| Deconstructed pie. I totally did this on purpose. |
| No really... it's good! I swear! |
| Mmm... soup! |
If you're looking for a yummy alternative to the stand-by ground beef taco filling, give these black beans a try. Just make sure you read the whole recipe or you may end up ripping your hair out at Hen House. FYI: they keep their black beans on the bottom shelf of the Mexican section, away from all the other beans. Makes perfect sense.
Black Beans in Chipotle Adobo Sauce
Ingredients for the beans:
- 2 (15 oz.) cans black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups cold water
- 1 large onion, peeled & halved {DO NOT CHOP}
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo, minced
- 2 Tablespoons adobo sauce from the chipotles
- Combine the beans, onion {DO NOT CHOP}, bay leaf, and water in a large sauce pan. Bring to a boil for 1 minute.
- Lower heat to medium and simmer, uncovered for 40 minutes.
- Remove the onion and bay leaf before serving.
- Prepare the sauce while the beans are cooking. In a skillet over medium heat, saute the onion and garlic in olive oil about 10 minutes. Stir in the chipotles and adobo sauce and cook for 30 seconds.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for a few minutes. Empty the sauce into a food processor bowl* and briefly pulse until a chunky sauce forms.
- Mix sauce into beans and serve with taco shells and all the fixin's. Enjoy!
*How did I ever survive without a food processor?!?
4 comments:
That photo really makes it look like I didn't like the pie but IT WAS GREAT.
you never cease to amaze me!! I am craving mexican now!
Ha! I totally remember Hen House being annoying! This meal looks delish. Hey, do you have the recipe for the Mexican Millet? You know I dig bird food.
Also, which Asian market did you go to? Did they tell you to "hurry and buy" while you shopped?
Glad you girls had a great dinner!
It was all yummy, like always! Thanks for going to all the trouble. And seriously, I have been craving that pie, I loved floating crust. I'm classy like that?
Post a Comment