... in chicken guts.
I know, all I blog about lately is school. But I really like school. I usually end the day thinking, I can't believe they are paying me to do this.
But they are. And as long as they continue to do so, you will continue to hear about school.
We started a poultry unit in my Creative Foods class. I enjoy nothing less than poultry. Seriously, chicken sicks me out. So this will be a short unit.
I haven't been an official educator for long, but I've come up with what I think is a pretty solid theory on student learning. They say that kids only retain like 2% of what you say. I believe that percentage goes way up when I gross them out. So I try to make them squirm as often as possible.
Today we were all squirming.
Today this vegetarian FACS teacher demonstrated cutting up a whole chicken. It was quite possibly the most successful day of the semester. Seriously.
I introduced them to their chicken. I let them name her. Then we had her do a little dance.
| They named this gal Betsy. She's an awesome dancer. |
Then I stuck my hand inside the bird and pulled out her neck, heart, lungs, liver, and gizzard.
| Freaking out the kids. |
| Violating Betsy. |
| Grossing myself out. |
| Julia Child ain't got nothing on me. |
| Betsy has wings but she can't fly. |
| Now let's get her legs! |
| Betsy will never run again. Not that she ever did. |
| And next, I'll separate Betsy's thigh from her drumstick. |
| Craaaaaaaaaaaack. |
Obviously I agree.
| Any questions? |
| Giggity. |
And in case you're wondering, I am more dedicated than ever to not eating animals. I'm pretty sure I converted several kids today too. "I will never eat chicken again" was a common theme.
Happy Chicken Day!
7 comments:
Love this post. Love that you have pictures. Love that you labeled one "violating Betsy". And I'm totally proud of you, hacking up a whole chicken is not easy, I'm pretty sure I'd be lost!
Love this! And your facial expressions. Who was responsible for taking the pictures of the chicken hacking?
Ha! This is why I love you. Best teacher ever! Also, who took all of these photos? Can't wait to see you!
As Mom and fellow teacher I am one proud lady. These kids couldn't have a better role model than a teacher who actually has fun doing her job.
haha, I LOVE the pictures...I so wish you were my teacher.
I loved this post too. I wish you were my teacher, I still don't know how to cut up a chicken, although maybe I don't want to know.
I lol-ed with this post and read it out loud to Ryan. You are the coolest teacher.
Post a Comment