Monday, May 18, 2009

Longest. Day. Ever.

Okay, so my big exciting life changing news... I quit my job today! Big deal, right? I gave my two weeks notice first thing this morning. I know I'm kind of a drama queen, but I swear it was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. I was so nervous during the whole drive to work. I honestly thought I might chicken out and stay a banker forever.

So, as many know, I started a little business venture some time ago. I'm so excited to give Four Paws Dog Running my full attention. I think its going to be fabulous! If you have no idea what I'm talking about, please see my website www.fourpawsdogrunning.com and my doggie blog at www.kcdogblogger.blogspot.com. Then, can someone please teach me how to make links in this silly blogger thing? :)

Now, imagine telling your boss at an ultra-conservative bank that you are leaving your well-paying, steady, respectable job as a small business banking specialist to run dogs for a living. Then imagine telling the same thing to like a thousand other ultra conservative bankers the same thing over and over and over, all in one day. I can say with some degree of certainty that Commerce Bank as a whole thinks I've lost my mind. That makes for a really long day... and I imagine it will make for a really long two weeks.

The thing that struck me though was that when I told the people I'm closest to, they didn't look at me like I'm nuts. They were so excited for me and super supportive. This is totally what got me through the day... that and like a million phone calls to Sam (she quit her job too!). I had to remind myself over and over again that this is what is best for me, and that it doesn't matter if some stuffy old banker thinks I'm a nut job. The people who are most important in my life are right behind me whether I'm making commercial real estate loans, or picking up poo. Is it so weird that I would rather be picking up poo?

So, I'll save you the talk about following your dreams and doing what makes you happy. I'm just so excited to move onto something new in my life and so blessed that God has given me the opportunities he has and the wonderful supportive people to share it with. Thanks to everyone who helped me get to this point!

No comments: