Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Hello.

We had so much fun during 2013.  Four countries?  Two marathons?  Weddings, beaches, big cities, small towns, BQs, lots of food and lots of fun. 

Whew, I'm tired just remembering all the madness.

We've decided that 2014 will a year of recovery.  You will not find us in foreign countries or far off destinations.  You will more likely find us on the couch; watching TV and eating take-out. 

And we are so excited about it.

I love resolutions, but this year instead of a long list I've decided to go with a theme for the year instead.  My theme this year is kindness.  Sounds simple.  But I'm hoping that by focusing on kindness every day (toward my friends, family, students, husband, world, and self) that I will end 2014 a kinder (duh) and more gracious person than I began it. 

And of course I have to have at least a couple of goals, just to keep things interesting.  The two I'm focusing on this year:

1.  Eat/buy/prepare a new fruit or vegetable every week, preferably local or seasonal.

When I first had this idea I immediately thought, "I could do a blog post every week with the food and how I prepared it and the nutritional benefits and where/how it grows!"  And then I thought, "Whoa whoa whoa.  Let's not get ahead of ourselves here."  I don't want to make a commitment that I can't keep.  So instead I've decided to Instagram a photo every week of whatever new foodie find we're trying.  So much simpler.  If I get the itch I'll do a monthly wrap up on the ol' blog.  No promises.

2.  Do yoga twice a week.

I never ever regret a yoga session.  But when life gets busy, it's the first thing to go.  I truly want to practice more often, so I'm going to commit to twice a week and see how it goes. 

In related news, I recently read this article which really spoke to me.  It discusses how we tend to wear our busyness on our sleeve like a badge of honor.  When asked how we are or what we're up to, we tend to answer with "busy".  I don't want to be "busy" anymore.  I want to prioritize my life and my time and move toward something deeper and more meaningful than "busy".  So with that, hopefully this paragraph is the last time you'll hear (or read) me using the B word.  And if you ask how I am, expect an actual answer.

Cheers to a kind, healthy, and uneventful year.

No comments: