Sunday, October 21, 2012

Life Begins at 30

30, eh?  I'm having mixed emotions about this one.  My initial and overwhelming reaction is to deny it and go on pretending that I'm 26.  The wiser* side of me feels I should embrace my 30's and forget all the worries about growing older.  I mean, it's gonna happen, right?  Why not just quit fighting it? 

Because it's scary, that's why.

Anyways, I sort of forgot to jump on the bandwagon of the whole "30 Before 30" list.  I totally wanted to and think it's an awesome idea, but alas, my procrastination got the best of me... again.  So I've decided to start a new #trend.

30 AFTER 30!!!

I figure I've got a lot of living to do and this time allotment gives me plenty of time to get things done**.  So, no feeling guilty if I don't get to something right away.  Here's what I've got.

  1. Qualify for the Boston Marathon.
  2. Run a marathon in all 50 states.
  3. Take a cooking class, like a real cooking class.
  4. Re-learn Spanish and go back to Spain {Jess, I'll need your help on this one!}.
  5. Take a wine-tasting class.
  6. Finally figure out how to keep my home clean & tidy {HELP ME!!!}.
  7. Stop buying all my clothes at Target.
  8. Run an ultra-marathon
  9. Go on a mission trip.
  10. Write a book.
  11. Become a certified yoga instructor.
  12. Sew a t-shirt quilt out of all my race shirts.
  13. Have family photos taken.
  14. Go Skydiving {WHAT?!?!?}
  15. Go to the Olympics.
  16. Host a really fancy {vegetarian} dinner party.
  17. Eat pizza in Italy.
  18. Drink wine in Sonoma/Napa Valley.
  19. Drink beer in Ireland.
  20. Eat paella in Spain.
  21. Hike through Switzerland.
  22. Run through Central Park.
  23. Read all the classic books I was supposed to read in high school but didn't.
  24. Go to a KSU Bowl Game.
  25. Find a Bible Study I love.
  26. Volunteer.
  27. Plan a surprise trip for Drew (without his help).
  28. Find a really great pair of jeans.
  29. Cut my hair really short.
  30. Read the Bible cover to cover.
So many things happened in my 20's.  So much good stuff!  I am optimistic that my 30's will carry on with this trend.  I've been blessed with amazing family, friends, and opportunities.  I am truly grateful for each day and every year... even if they do start with a 3.

*I'm told that comes with age.
**Assuming I don't kick the bucket anytime soon.

6 comments:

Lauren Grier said...

I love this! You are so wise, friend. I think our 30's are going to be epic and by the looks of your list, it will more than likely be legend….wait for it….ary!

Happy Birthday! And let's go to NY and run in Central Park. That's on my bucket list too! Happy Birthday!

Jody said...

I love this list too! Make me want to get working on mine! Running in Central Park in on my list, too! I'm not sure I could keep up with you and Lauren though! Happy Belated Birthday!

Trophy Wife said...

Dude. I have so many comments. First of all, this is quite the ambitious list. Run 50 marathons?! Yowza! Obvi I'm out for any of these running ones cause you're fast and I retired awhile ago but wine, food, dinner parties, I'm in for all of that. and that quilt? I've made 3, they are SO easy! And we are such good sewing buddies anyway. Just make sure Jana is there or we're effed! Love you friend. and really love that you turned 30 before I did.

Krista said...

Love this! Happy late Birthday! I'm so behind...:(

Sam said...

awww, first, can I please run with you guys in Central Park?!?! Second, if this were anyone else, I would think that the list might be a little too ambitious...but it's you, and you're awesome so I have no doubts that you'll get'er done:)!!!

Oh, and I didn't see 'visit my amazing friend in Norwich' on your list...tsk, tsk:)

Katy said...

Love!!! :)