Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Roll Call

I've told you about the importance of rolls in our family.  Before I'd even met Drew's Aunt Nancy, I'd heard about her rolls.  Eventually I tasted them.  And that's when I realized what all the hub-bub was about.  The rolls are good.

This weekend the torch was passed!  Nancy held Roll Camp on Saturday.  She spilled the beans on all the secret techniques and ingredients.  I was stunned when the secret ingredient was revealed.  Stunned.

"Betty Crocker doesn't know everything."
The rolls originated with Drew's great-grandma.  She taught Nancy when she was in her early 20's.  And she's been making them ever since! 

She's got it down to an art.
We mixed, kneaded, shaped, and laughed the day away.

Kneading the Dough.

Roll Campers.

Shaping the Clover-Leaf.
I have a bit of experience with yeast bread, but I had no idea how much time and effort go into these rolls!  Shaping the dough requires specific technique and takes some time!  Then you have to proof them.  It's a good idea to find something productive to do while the rolls are proofing.

Cheryl to the rescue.
After preparing a batch of the ever famous originals, Nancy showed us how to make cinnamon rolls.  They are amazing.  Amazing.

Rolls + Butter + Cinnamon = OMG

The Roll Team.
Nancy's laundry room transforms into a proofing room.  Just waiting for those babies to double in size!


How beautiful!

Right out of the oven!

Just add butter!
We were a little nervous about how the rolls would turn out... our shaping technique was a little shaky.  But they were really good!! 

I'm so happy.

Jack approved. :)
This will go down in history as one of my favorite days of all time.  Who knew bread baking could be so much fun?  I am so appreciative to be included in such a special family tradition and I feel so blessed to have amazing women in my life that I love to spend time with. 

Now we've got a lot of practicing to do if we're going to be roll-ready by next holiday season!  Who wants to come over for a dinner party?

2 comments:

Brooke said...

This was by far one of my favorite days too! By the way we need to make that dough in my fridge into rolls!! I'll get some wine;)

Trophy Wife said...

I want to come over for a dinner party. And a bread making day. I thought you were going to tell us all the secret ingredient and I was like, "Noooo!!!" but obv you kept that one in the family.