Monday, October 17, 2011

The Newest Gibson

Before I introduce you to the newest Gibson, we'd better take a moment to say good-bye to one of our longest standing family members. 

If you haven't noticed by now, I tend to get pretty attached to... pretty much everything in my life.  I hate change.  This would explain the fact that I've driven the same car for eleven years.  That's right... eleven years. 

Jade came into my life my senior year of high school.  After years of hearing "I want a Jetta", Jim finally caved and bought me a Jetta.  We went to the lot, test drove Jade, and took her home a few days later.  I've been in love ever since. 

That girl has been with me through it all.  Even if her "check engine" light was always on, and her windows had a tendency to fall off track (usually in the dead of winter), and once she even let go of her parking break to roll down the street and into our neighbor's car*.  Regardless, she was mine, and I loved her.

She was always a lemon, and it finally came to the point where it cost more to fix her than she was worth**.  And I knew it was time to say good-bye to my dear friend.

Good-bye, friend.
There were tears shed.  Several.

But we have a new family member to introduce.


Drew said no more Volkswagons and squashed all of my dreams of a VW Beetle.  So a Chevy Cruze it is... even though I originally said I would never drive a car spelled like that. 

Her name is Penny, short for Penelope.  And so far she's been pretty great.  I know she'll never replace Jade in my heart, but I'm warming up to her.  Let's hope her "check engine" light stays off.

*Jade's only wreck and I wasn't even in the car!
**In terms of dollars, not in terms of my heart.

4 comments:

Sam said...

Love penny!! Sad for Jade...enjoy your new ride!

Lauren Grier said...

I will miss Jade and her seat warmers! But I am loving the new ride:)

Just Jana said...

Swanky! I love the pic of you and Drew in front of the new car. Somehow, with Drew dressed up in his work clothes, it seems very "Dad buying his teen a car-ish." But not in a creepy way?!

Nicky said...

Does Penny smell like crayons like Jade did?!