Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Ready-Relate & My 4th Anniversary

Happy Anniversary to me!  Yes, just to me... Drew is out of town and missing our anniversary (again), so he gets no well wishes from me*.  Today, instead of my usual barrage of Drew & Jamie photos from the previous year, I thought I'd give you all a deeper look into our marriage. 

One of my summer classes, which actually ends today, is called Transition to Marriage.  It is all about communication, conflict resolution, expectations, and lots of other fun things that go along with marriage.  Let me tell you, Drew loves that I'm taking this class.  I mean, what guy doesn't want to discuss their relationship in depth?

As part of the class, I was required to take this survey called Ready-Relate.  It was something like 270 in-depth questions about every facet of my life.  Oh, and Drew had to take it too.  This was the part he was most excited about.

So after we each took the test, the program linked up our answers and spit out a 34 page Survey Profile.  OMG.  We kept reading through it, expecting that somewhere along the way it would give us like a score of 1 - 10 or tell us if we're going to make it or not.  It didn't.  It just gave us lots of charts and graphs... boring.

One of the charts was actually pretty interesting though.  It listed all of the common problem areas with couples such as drug & alcohol use, un-approving family members, willingness to have extra-marital affairs, etc.  There were check marks for each of us which signified each area as either a "strength area" or a "challenge area".

Of all the areas listed (there were quite a few), Drew and I had check marks in the "strength area" except for two areas** which were the same for both of us.  The reports show that a "challenge area" for both Drew and me are Personal Alcohol Use and Partner Alcohol Use.  

Well that's just fantastic.  Our stupid professional survey just said the only problem in our marriage is that we drink too much.  I don't even remember any questions that asked about drinking.  Maybe they read my blog. 

I guess now the world knows.  But hey, we've all got problems, right?

♥ Cheers to 4 Fantastic Years! ♥

*Just kidding.  Love you Drew!!!
**The survey actually reported an additional challenge area for Drew which was Willingness to Cohabit... which I'm pretty sure means willingness to live together before marriage.  I'm not sure how this is a challenge area since we didn't live together before marriage, but if Drew has a problem he probably should have brought it up before now. 

2 comments:

Lauren Grier said...

Happy Anniversary!!

Um friend, I am definitely taking this survey!

Sam said...

This might just be my favorite post ever!! Love you guys so much!!!