Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Love My Girls

Saturday was the final day of our Girls on the Run season.  The girls worked hard all season to train for a 5K! 

This season was full of way more than just running though.  One of my favorite days was our practice 5K.  Instead of doing a lesson before we ran, we had a dance party, complete with line dancing.

Love our GOTR moms!

Coach Britt breaking it down.

C-razy!

Hey Girl Hey!


My favorites!
The girls were asked to come up with a project that would benefit their community.  I gave them some suggestions, but they came up with their own project.  We spent a day making bracelets for patients at Children's Mercy as "get well" gifts.  I was so proud of my girls for coming up with such a cute idea!

Bracelet Making.

Cheese.
They all did amazing on Saturday!  And it made me so happy to hear them talk about how they can't wait for next season and that they want to do more races this summer.  I feel like getting them into racing is such a great way to keep them active even when I'm not screaming at them to run. :)

St Ann's!
All the girls have a running buddy for the race, usually a parent or sibling.  One of my gals didn't have a running buddy, so Coach Alli and I stepped in.  I think she was wishing someone else was her buddy because we pushed her pretty hard. :)

Running Buddies!

Go girl!

Finishers!

There was Chic Filet at the end.  So much for healthy eating!
One of my gals was dead set on setting a PR.  Can you believe she knows what a PR is??  She comes from a running family and I was thrilled when I saw her after the race and she told me she ran in 29 minutes ---> a new PR!!!

This season has been super challenging (ahem), but these girls really taught me so much.  I had so much fun and hope that they learned a little bit too.  I don't know how you elementary teachers do it.  Those girls wear me out after only a few hours a week! 

If you have a flexible schedule and are interested in coaching a GOTR group next fall, check out the website.  It is such a rewarding (and fun!) experience.  I highly recommend it!!!

1 comment:

Lauren Grier said...

I so want to do this in Denver! Love the bracelet idea.