Thursday, September 10, 2009

Name That Vegetable

Any guesses?? Kind of looks like a mix between green onions and celery, right? Well it is neither! Lemon grass. Yep. Who knows what that is? Not this chic. So when it showed up in my Fresh Connect box last week I had to do a little looking to figure out a way to use it. I searched and found a recipe for Thai Curry Soup that didn't have a scary ingredient list. I doubled the mushrooms and scratched the shrimp because we had shrimp last week, and that was about enough for me for a while. I also couldn't find pad thai noodles so I used chow mein noodles. Not gonna lie, I have no idea what the difference is. But the soup was delish:


This was my first attempt ever at Thai food. I've only ever actually eaten Thai once in my life and that was at a restaurant in West Port. This whole local/organic delivery service is really making me step out of my comfort zone in the kitchen. Among other things (like making me a better person in general... kidding!) the box of fruits & veggies is getting me to try things I never would if I were choosing all my own produce. Along with Lemon Grass, last week's box included a big honkin watermelon and a mango. Those are two fruits I never buy at the store because honestly, I have no idea how to properly peel/cut/eat them. I gave it my best and it was a lot of work! Especially that watermelon. I've been force feeding watermelon to Drew for the last few days in an attempt to finish it off before our next box of produce shows up on Saturday. Point of these side tracked ridiculous ramblings: I'm really enjoying the all the "new" food adventures in our life and I'm so happy we decided to start using Fresh Connect. Love them!

3 comments:

Trophy Wife said...

Woohoo! Me too. I struggled a little with the watermelon as well which was annoying cause I'm pretty good with a knife. That's what she said. I wondered what lemongrass was when I saw it on the list. You always get the weird ones and I seem to get mostly normal stuff. But I never would have bought watermelon. I think I'll be serving that as a side with dinner tonight. :)

Sarah said...

you should try grilling the watermelon....heard its awesome!

Mom said...

Putting watermelon in the blender with your favorite alcoholic beverage - white wine, taquilla, rum, vodka, etc - makes a fun drink. Put salt on it to give it a different taste.Or freeze it to make interesting ice cubes.

I envy your getting all these great thing delivered right to your door. I've always wanted to try cooking with lemon grass.