Sunday, September 13, 2009

Marathon Training: Week 13 Recap

13 down, 5 to go! And of those 5, there's only one more really long run left. Craziness! Here's how Week 13 looked with scheduled runs in pink and actual runs in purple.

MONDAY: Rest Day / Rest Day.

TUESDAY: 5 Miles / 5 Miles. Since this week's long run is really long, Hal cut the mid-week sorta long run down to just 5 miles. Nice guy that Hal.

WEDNESDAY: 5 Miles / 5 Miles.

THURSDAY: 5 Miles / 5 Miles.

FRIDAY: Rest Day / 3 Mile Walk & Yoga. When I started training I said I was going to do yoga once a week and the bike once a week. Yeah, that hasn't happened. But it felt good today!

SATURDAY: 19 Miles / 20 Miles. Why on Earth would we run an extra mile on this already super long run? I'll tell you why. We planned out our run as an out and back that would take us by QT around miles 7 1/2 and 11 1/2 so we could refuel (aka buy candy), but had to start so early that it was a little too dark to run on the trail. So we ran a bit down 119th street until it was light enough to jump on the trail and then reached our turn-around point 1/2 mile before QT. The drive for candy made us decide it was worth the extra mile. True, we could have walked the extra mile to our car, but both Brooke and I have a bit of an impatient streak in us. Plus to be completely honest, once you reach that distance walking really hurts.

Swim Suit Man made yet another appearance in yet another new swim suit. This one was bright blue. Very flattering! We decided that Corporate Woods is definitely his home-base... if you decide to go hunting for him... which I'm sure you will.

SUNDAY: Cross Train / TBD. Feeling pretty tired from yesterday and going on a couple of nights of not much sleep, but there's a chance I'll make it to the gym for some bike time. I need a new book to motivate me to go! Any suggestions?

TOTAL MILEAGE: 34 / 35

This was a good week! I know its only 1 extra mile, but something about running an extra 20 before the race makes me feel more confident going into the marathon. It was by no means an easy week, but I don't feel completely dead either. I'll take what I can get!

***Marathon Tip of the Week: Drink up! Hydration plays such an important part in how your run will go, but sometimes it can get a little tricky. I am a thirsty girl. I drink a lot of water. A lot. But I'm still trying to figure out my hydration strategy for the morning of long runs/the actual race. I know I drink way too much before I run b/c usually I'm hitting up the bathroom with in the first few miles... something I do not want to do race day. But I'm so freakin thirsty when I wake up! And I panic that I'm going to be dehydrated during the run and not run my best. I think the recommendation is to drink more the day before you run so that you are already hydrated and don't have to drink a bunch before you run. But I'm seriously parched in the mornings!!! Anyways, I need to figure that out, and this isn't turning out to be much of a tip... just that you should figure out your own hydration strategy so that you feel hydrated enough to run, but not so much so that you are making pit stops right out of the gates. Good tip Jamie. Genius.

1 comment:

Trophy Wife said...

I liked the tip! What about eating? I need tips on that. Like eating before and during long runs.

I'm sorry I missed swimsuit man but I should be able to catch him next week.

You should read: Once a Runner by John Parker. I'm reading it now, if you wanna borrow when I'm done you can. It's great, and motivating since it's about running.