Friday, June 15, 2018

Rock & Roll Seattle - State #20

Well, we made it to 20! My only goal in Seattle was to BQ. I feel like this should be a given. I went up an age group so my qualifying time went up by 5 minutes. For a time in my life, every race was a BQ if I wanted it... not so much anymore.

I did not research this race. A few people told me they heard it was hilly. I blew it off. I'm not scared of hills. I'd also been dealing with some lingering calf issues and a fun new injury to my hip. Getting older has not been as graceful as I'd hoped.

So I lined up on race day with the 3:30 pacer. We started running and immediately hit the hills. No worries. I held the pace and felt good. On the uphills, I slowed my pace and worked to make up time on the downhills. This seems like a good strategy, right?

The sun was out, even though the forecast called for rain. It was getting warm so I poured water on my head at every aid station. I lost the pace group around mile 10. This was discouraging, but my mile splits were still around 8 minutes per mile... perfect. 

As the miles went on my pace slowed... the hills continued but nothing terrible. I was still in a good place when I passed Drew heading into the final out-and-back. 





So here's where things took a turn. I was loving the out-and-back because I was able to see the lead runners coming in. This was so much fun! And I told myself that they even though I was going up hill right now, look at them going downhill! I'd be flying by the finish!

This did a couple of things to me mentally... first, it made the finish seem closer than it was. In truth, I was only at mile 19. As I crested that hill I realized that I had another insanely huge hill ahead of me. It was a doozy. I kept my spirits up and pushed hard on the downhill.

As I was going up the next giant hill, I kept telling myself that I just had to make it up and then I'd get to turn around and go down. About halfway up I crossed the 20-mile marker and I realized my math was way off. I was not going to turn around at the top. This was a total mind-f*ck. I reached the top and realized there was so much more to come... and that I'd be climbing this hill again. 

Again, I pushed hard on the downhill... still fighting for that 3:40 BQ. The course turned into a park and suddenly we were running on trails... hilly gravel trails. I kept battling mentally. I kept telling myself "I can do hard things". 

Once out of the park, I was finally on my way back toward the finish line. I was hurting so bad. Even the downhills were killer. It was on a big downhill that I wanted so badly to stop and walk. I kept telling myself I could not walk on the downhill. I could walk on an uphill or at an aid station but NOT on the downhill. 

Then at mile 23 the 3:40 pacer passed me. 

I started walking... on the downhill. And I let every physical and emotional pain wash over me. 

I was defeated.

I walked a lot, tried to run, walked some more. The 3:50 pacers passed me. I told myself not to cry until the finish. 

The last 3 miles were slow and painful. I was miserable. As I approached the finish line I felt emotion wash over me... but I did not cry. I crossed the finish line with no sign of Drew. Apparently when the 3:50 pacers came in he thought for sure he'd missed my finish and went to look for me. He had no idea I had slowed down so much.

As soon as I finished the clouds came, the temp dropped, and it started to rain. Of course it did. In the confusion at the finish, we had a hard time finding each other and I ended up sitting in the cold rain for about 20 minutes. I finally used a stranger's phone to get a hold of Drew and at that point I lost it. I just sat there in the rain crying. It was awful. Not my best moment.

But then we found each other and made it back to our Air B&B. Drew got me coffee and I showered and warmed up and took a tiny nap and everything was fine. In the moment it was the worst. The worst. But I guess this too shall pass.

That afternoon we made our way to Washington University where we filled up on Thai food... my favorite post-race meal. Then we went to the Oiselle Flagship Store! I'd been dying to go and Drew is such a trooper for spending an afternoon shopping for running clothes after he just spent a morning watching a road race. Can we agree he's the best?


And that was the race. We had planned on staying until Thursday but on Monday we received a phone call from our vet that Ari's health had declined significantly. We made arrangements and made it home that night. Our amazing vet brought Ari to meet us at our home. The next day we said goodbye.

This blog is nothing but a way for me to record my races anymore... but it used to be so much more. And I'm so happy I captured such sweet stories about my puppy dog. He has defined our lives for so long and we are having a tough time figuring out who the Gibsons are without him. Our story is so much fuller because he was in it.




No comments: