I own a pint glass that says something to the effect of, "I'm outdoorsy in the fact that I like to drink on patios". I think that gives you a clue as to my experience and enthusiasm for the outdoors.
But I read
Wild and I saw the movie. And if anyone can make hiking through the mountains with all of your belongings on your back look like a good time, it's Reese Witherspoon.
So back in October a group of gals from work was talking about going on a backpacking trip. Never wanting to be left out of anything, I volunteered to tag along. Fast forward to the actual trip, and somehow there were just 3 of us left.
So Rachelle, Sue, and I set off for the Ozark Highlands Trail in Arkansas to do some backpacking.
Rather than tell the whole ridiculous story, I will leave the photos as evidence that I actually did this. I hiked many many miles. I slept in a tent. I narrowly avoided a rattlesnake and a bear. I bathed in a creek. I filtered water from a creek. I ate food from a bag, cooked on a tiny portable stove. I hitchhiked home when the trail was too much to take. I was brave.
 |
| Rachelle, our fearless leader. |
 |
| Waterfall. |
 |
| Trail register, in case you disappear. |
 |
| My partner in crime! |
 |
| Creek-crossing. |
 |
| I credit Rachelle with teaching me how real selfies are taken. |
 |
| Off we go! |
 |
| Me & Sue, loving life. |
 |
| Someone should have checked Sue's bag. She packed it all. |
 |
| Bath tub, drinking water, cooking water, place I fell into. |
 |
| Which way do we go??? |
 |
| Wilderness Women! |
 |
| Expertly crossing a creek. |
 |
| Googling "what to do if a rattlesnake is in your path". |
 |
| Post hike beers! |
 |
| Camping is cool. |
 |
| Waterfall / Shower |
 |
| Keep on going! |
 |
| Filtering Water. |
We lost Sue after day 1, and Rachell and I hiked on together. At one point when we were setting up our tent at night, she looked at me and said, "You've never pitched a tent before, have you?" And I said, "Aren't you lucky that out of all the people who signed up for this trip, you get stuck with me?" This was the most out-of-my-comfort-zone I have really ever been. Ever. And I loved every minute of it.
Maybe not the ticks...
No comments:
Post a Comment