Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Trends We May Regret in the Future

You know I love a good list.  So when I heard this list being discussed on the radio, I knew I'd have to share it.

We all love a good trend.  But then there are trends we look back on and think, "What were we thinking???"  I'm sure you're all envisioning a mullet right now.  This is a list of seven current trends that we may regret in the future.  The last 3 are my own contribution*.

1.  YOLO.  You only live once. 

Or so my middle-schoolers think.  Please stop.  And while we're at it, cut the SWAG.  It's super lame.

2.  Using Instagram filters to make photos look vintage. 

False.  I will not regret Instagram.  Instagram till I die, yo.

3.  Excessive #hashtags.

Okay, I admit, we will probably look back and think hashtagging was lame.  But for now, I'm all about it!  I love a good hashtag. 

#yolo  #bachelornation  #EMAW  #thingsdrewsaid  #underwhelmed  #devouredbyinsects

4.  Variations of "Keep Calm and Carry On."

Yes, we've gone a bit overboard here.  #keepcalm

5.  Vampires & Zombies.

Hmmm... not sure where I stand on this one.  I say we need more unicorns.

6.  Mustaches.

This one makes me laugh!  I always have a couple of kids who buy mustache fabric to make aprons.  Mustaches are going strong with the pre-teen crowd.  I even bought one for my school refrigerator.

7.  Wearing glasses you don't need.

I have lasik and feel very sad that I can't join in with the hipster crowd by wearing some big, thick-rimmed glasses.  But yes, it's pretty silly.

And now for Jamie's bonus section...

8.  Bacon.

I'm all for cleverness on t-shirts and adding extra flavor to dishes.  But this bacon obsession is going to do nothing for our nation-wide obesity problem.  Years from now I'm sure we'll look back and try to figure out why our anti-obesity campaigns didn't work and we'll realize it all went wrong somewhere between the Bacon Explosion and Bacon Donuts.

♥Bacon♥


9.  Leggings as Pants

I love love love me some leggings.  And I actually think that when done right, they look really cute as pants.  But as we delve deeper and deeper into this trend, I think some of us are going to be hating ourselves when photos surface later in life.

Cute, right?
These?  Not so much.

10.  Mason Jar Madness

I'm a fan too.  I'm not sure what it is about Mason jars that is so alluring.  They are so simple.  But we've seriously taken the Mason jar trend to the extreme.  Why can't we just use regular lights?  What's wrong with Tupperware for lunches?  And for goodness sake, can someone please remind me what we all drank out of before it was hip to sip smoothies from a mason jar?

Why?

It's called a bowl, use it.

So that's the list.  Agree or disagree???  What are the trends right now that you think we'll regret in the future?  


*Who makes a top 7 list???

2 comments:

Trophy Wife said...

This was super fun. I'll never regret my hashtags. #Ever I gotta add twerking. Or maybe just Miley.

Katy said...

I was never a huge fan of hashtags until our road trip to Wichita. Without them, how would we have entertained ourselves?! #sorrymeggy