Tuesday, March 12, 2013

10 Questions about cleaning

I know, right?  We're talking about cleaning.  Snooze-fest.  But I seriously need your help!

I've repeatedly admitted to being completely clueless when it comes to keeping house.  I fear the day we upgrade from our tiny ranch because if I can't keep this place clean, how could I manage a house with even more rooms and square feet?!? 

It's not like I wasn't made to clean when I was growing up.  But I never really excelled at it then.  And I think I spent more time trying to get out of it than it should have actually taken to do the job well*.  For instance, there was a good length of time in middle school that I wasn't allowed to do anything until my room was cleaned.  So Nicky would come over weekly to clean my room.  Not only was she good at it, but she enjoyed it too**.

After about a month, my Dad realized what was going on and Nicky was banned from cleaning my room.  It was the best month ever.

So as I struggle to keep up the illusion that we are not living in squalor, I've come up with some questions that I need answered.  Please help me out and share if you've got answers.  I'm really striving to improve at this whole domestic thing (says the Home Ec teacher).

1.  How often do you clean?  And what is on your regular schedule?  I try to do the basics (sweep, dust, clean the bathroom) once a week.  But I even struggle with that.  And I feel like I'm probably missing something.

2.  What about clutter?  I always hear, "A place for everything and everything in its place".  How do you know where it's supposed to go?  I tend to pile things up on the kitchen table.  Hence the reason we always eat on the couch.

3.  How many "junk" rooms is too many?  Our office accumulates all the junk that doesn't have a place and our guest room is basically one big laundry basket.  And let's not even think about the basement.  Do you have a room that collects all your junk?  And if not, why don't you have junk?  Or do you?  And where do you put it?

4.  Speaking of laundry, how the hell do 2 people accumulate so. much. laundry?  I can't even fathom how parents do it.  I feel like I spend so much time sorting, washing, folding laundry.  And there are only 2 of us!!!  How do you handle the laundry???

5.  What's the best way to clean wood floors?  I am constantly sweeping up after the mutts, but I rarely ever mop.  It's got to be a germ-fest down there.

6.  What is Spring cleaning?  What am I supposed to clean during Spring cleaning?

7.  How do you store your shoes?  How do you know when to get rid of shoes?  I have a problem of hanging on to shoes "just in case" I have an occasion to wear them. 

8.  Where do you keep books, magazines, and mail?  I feel like they just pile up everywhere creating clutter and collecting dust.

9.  What products should I be using?  What are your faves?

10.  Do you have a number for a cleaning service that will not laugh at me for being unable to keep such a small home clean?  Maybe I need a personal organizer.  I should call AshLee from the Bachelor!!!

If only Martha Stewart would come over and give me a lesson on cleaning.  That's not happening, so I need your help!  If you give me answers, I promise next week's Top Ten will be much more interesting.  Pinky promise.

*My poor mother.
**Freak.

4 comments:

Trophy Wife said...

I bought this Martha Stewart book a couple years ago (or maybe asked for it for my birthday) that answered all these questions about what to clean when. I was going to get my act together. I'm pretty sure when she told me to sweep my floors every.single.day. I quit. But I'm happy to loan it to you. :)

7. Why would you get rid of shoes? I don't understand.

10. I do have the number of someone, that I need to call for myself too. Maybe she'll cut us a deal if we sign up together! :)

Michelle said...

We have white tile in our bathroom and every time I brush or dry my hair, I shed about half of the hair on my head, so by the end of the week our bathroom floor does not look pretty. So, I always vacuum the bathroom every weekend and since I already have the vacuum out, I also take care of the kitchen floor. But besides that, I dust, clean the bathrooms and vacuum the rest of the house every other weekend.
I think Spring cleaning is over-rated. I really don't know what that entails- maybe washing the windows or something?
I guess I am somewhat of a freak too because I usually enjoy cleaning and feel so much better once everything is organized and neat. :)

Lauren @ Climbing Grier Mountain said...

FRIEND!!! I feel as though we need to have a conference call! These are all fantastic questions!!

1. I clean more than the average person because I have a touch of the OCD. But, I say, you should lightly clean your house once every week and deep clean every 3 (for me that means dusting, wipe base boards down, etc.)

2. For clutter, start in one room. Do one section at a time. This will keep you from feeling overwhelmed.

4. Laundry blows! I do a load every 2 days and make Bret do a least one of those so I don't pull my hair out!

6. Spring cleaning to me is "getting rid of winter". I clean windows, sweep the front porch, switch out winter bedding, etc. It's really up to you!

9. Use Windex and Mrs. Meyer's!!

Nicky said...

I love cleaning...love it. I clean my house everday but really clean deep every week....dusting, bathrooms, mop, windows and mirrors. Spring cleaning to me is getting rid of junk, wiping all wood like cabinents, doors, etc. Getting above the cabinents in the kitchen, washing curtains, shower curtains, not just dusting your blinds but actually cleaning them.

And I really did enjoy cleaning your room, I remember being sad when Jim found out and I couldn't clean anymore. Sad face.