Tuesday, August 14, 2012

If You're Not First, You're Last

Or... Wow!  I Look Super Hot in Race Photos!

Last week Brittney and I ran the Olathe Medical Center 5K.  See KC Run was there taking pictures. 

While I love the concept of getting free race photos to everyone, I seriously hate race photos in general.  My theory is that no one looks pretty while they're running, especially if they are putting forth some sort of effort. 

Please don't try to prove me wrong by sending me your Sports Illustrated worthy race pics.  Let me live in my little dream world where we all look like Shrek when we run.

Here are some pics from the race.

The Start.
The race was small... like 200 runners.  Which means good odds and not a lot of competition!

Shrek 1 & Shrek 2.
We've been doing all this speed work lately so our coach encouraged us to do a 5K to see where we're at.  By his estimation we should have finished under 21 minutes.  We did not.

Eat my dust, boy runner!
We started out way too fast.  I looked at my watch and saw a 5:40 pace at the start and FREAKED OUT!  It's hard not to want to keep up with the fast kids at the start, but it will kick your ass in the end.

We evened out our pace, but both of us were feeling it.  Around mile 2 I lost Britt when she had to stop for a quick walk break.  I battled out the last mile on my own and came in at 22:24.

What a lovely face I'm making.
Even though it wasn't what I hoped for, it was good enough to place second (for the girls)!  This is why I love small races.  They can totally boost your self-esteem.  Which is important because once you see your race photos, the self-esteem goes right down the crapper. 

What was even cooler?  The first place finisher overall was female!  Hoo-rah!  That like never happens.  Her time wasn't anything stellar, and would never have won in a larger race.  But how cool for her to say that she won a 5K??? 

As for me, I guess I'll just have to hope all this speed work I've been doing will pay off when it comes marathon-time.  Surely, right?

1 comment:

Lauren Grier said...

Friend, you're a total BAMF. Seriously, super fast! I'm so proud of all your hard work!