Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Belly Laughs

Tragedy has struck friends.  I have lost a piece of me... something that has been with me for many, many years.  Meet, my belly ring:

Sad little broken belly ring.

Maybe we should start at the beginning.  When I was a senior in high school I was a pretty classy lady.  Like real classy.  And with prom coming up, I wanted to accentuate my super classy two-piece dress with a belly-button piercing. 

The only problem was, my mom totally forbid it.  She told me that if I pierced my belly-button she would take away my super classy two-piece prom dress.  The horror.

Now, being the asshole slightly rebellious teen that I was, I headed on down to the tattoo parlor/piercing place with my dear friend Brandy who is an expert in body mutilation.  Hi Brandy!!!  I chose the ring/jewel combo because that's what Britney Spears was sporting at the time.

When Prom night came along and everyone and their date showed up to my house for prom pictures, I just hiked up that skirt and acted like everything was normal.  Yes, I had to push my belly out to keep the skirt up, but looking slightly bloated in pictures is a small price to pay for hot body piercings.


See how classy those dresses were?
Of course, as soon as we were out of the house and on our way to the Prom I exhaled and let my dress go to it's natural resting place on my hips. 

The classiness is almost unbearable.

Of course the next day my mom caught sight of the dang thing.  But by then I didn't need that dress anymore.  But the belly ring remained, for a very long time.

I'd contemplated taking it out many, many times.  I know I'm too old to wear a belly ring.  But I kind of forget its there.  Which is probably why I never changed it.  That, and how embarrassing would it be to shop for a belly ring at my age?

But I couldn't bring myself to take it out.  I just... couldn't.

Then on Sunday when I'd gotten back from the lake, I was letting the dogs out when I bumped against the sliding door and heard a pop.  I looked down and saw the tiny "diamond" on the deck and about had a heart attack. 

I believe it was a sign.  I mean, the thing fell out after 10 years in there and it just happened to be the day before I started teaching.  That's no coincidence.  It's the end of an era.  And the beginning of a new, more mature/less trashy era.

And somewhere in Wichita, my mother is praising Jesus that I am no longer a teenager.  Love you, Mom!

9 comments:

Trophy Wife said...

I'm trying really hard not to be offended by this blog post. And also trying really hard not to let it make me feel too old for my belly ring.

#1: You never changed it? You missed out on the best part of having a belly ring...changing it constantly!

#2: A friend told me I could wear mine until I had a baby or turned 30. Obv we know which will happen and it's only 2 years away. After reading this I'm going to ammend my plan and say: I will wear mine until Brit Brit stops wearing hers. How's that for rebelous?!

Anonymous said...

You never, ever took it out?! I'd be more ashamed to say that than to actually admit that you have/had one!

Add me to the trashy teenage list, because I've still got one, too. Kids and all. And no, it doesn't look gross (or trashy, if you ask me) :)

Anonymous said...

Hello!! I have 6 tiny tattoos and I took my belly button ring out years ago. You make it sound like I'm a circus freak with spikes and things sticking out of me! :) However...that was fun and we rocked those two piece dresses--watch out! Question, why is mine so short? B

Callie said...

Sometimes I think we are the same person.
I did the EXACT same thing. Two piece (white) prom dress hiked up so my dad wouldn't kill me. Genious, really.

Sam said...

hahahahaha, seriously, i wish you would post more high school pictures. Just made my day!! Oh, and I can call you now...as soon as I buy a phone for my vonage box!! Yay!! Don't forget about me!!

Jamie said...

I didn't realize belly rings were so contraversial!

TW: Sorry for offending you...

Sarah: Knowing you it probably actually looks classy on you... share your secrets please!

Brandy: You are a circus freak, but I still love you.

Callie: I think we need proof in the form of photos! I smell a blog post. :)

Sam: Who are you again?? Kidding! Call me, lady!

Lauren Grier said...

Jamie - Welcome to adulthood! Kind of jealous that you had a belly ring. Hell, I don't even have my ears pierced. That high school picture is just epic. Love ya!

Katy said...

Welcome to adulthood. It sucks but you're gonna love it. I probably just butchered that, but it is supposed to be a quote from Friends. I'm pretty sure everyone has one defining moment when they realize they are a legit grown-up... this is yours!

Krista said...

LOVE the two piece dress pic. Hilarious! Why did we think it was appropriate to wear those to prom? My senior dress was much similar to yours, only green. And I sported a classy belly ring. Only I took mine out about 4 years ago. Proud of you girl!